A computer model is the creation of a model of a real system in order to study the behaviour of the whole system.
The idea behind developing the model is to try to find out what mechanisms control how a system behaves. This makes it possible to predict the behaviour of the system in the future and also see if it is possible to influence this future behaviour.
- Application that can be used to simulate different scenarios
- to work out all of the possible outcomes.
- to mimic (copy) real life system
- also known as “computer model”
What it is Used for?
- Models can predict outcomes based on inputs we enter (e.g. spreadsheets)
- For example, allowing pilots or surgeons to learn their skills safely.
- Architects can produce very accurate 3D models of buildings.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Modelling Application
Advantages of Modelling Application:
- rather than waiting for real thing is constructed and damage happen
- for the novice to practice handling simulation than the real thing (eg: plane simulator)
- Save time
- can simulate faster than real time
- Greater solution range
- mimic a wide range of extreme situations
Disadvantages of Modelling Application
- never perfectly mimic real life
- Initial Expense
- require sophisticated hardware and software – which can be expensive
- Programmer Error
- simulation outcomes will be more inaccurate.
Examples of Modelling Application
- mimic the skills needed to pilot a real aircraft.
- PC/Laptop simulation designed to be used at home
- Replica cockpit simulations which are large and expensive but feel more like the real thing.
- Use of vehicle controls (steering wheel, accelerator, gears, clutch etc)
- Practice driving maneuvers (emergency stop, reversing, parking etc)
- Learning how to handle large trucks safely
- Driving in hazardous conditions (snow, heavy rain etc)
3D Models (buildings, rooms, mobile phones etc)
Images can be zoomed into so that fine detail can be seen clearly
Images can be rotated through many different angles so that every aspect of the model can be seen
Creating and modifying prototypes on software does not require expensive, physical materials (like plastic, wood, bricks etc)
CAD software allows prototypes to be created and modified by manipulating elements on a screen. This is much quicker than having to assemble and change plastic/wood based prototypes.
Finance Simulation (business spreadsheet models)
- Spreadsheet models can be used to predict finance type outcomes based on mathematical values.
- These predictions can show us things like.
- Profit / Loss
- Over budget / Within Budget
- Answers to ‘What If’ questions