Even if you don’t work for a huge business, It can be useful to use computers to keep track of data.
Data that is stored on a computer (as opposed to data written on paper) can be easily:
- organised / sorted in different ways
- displayed / printed in a variety of styles and layouts
- searched for specific things
- updated – adding / changing / deleting items
- backed-up – a copy can be made with just a few clicks
- stored / moved – a memory stick is much smaller than a cupboard full of paper!
What we can store on the Computer:
- Your Address Book
- Club / Society Records
- Results of Surveys
- Sales Records
- School Reports
- School Library Database
DATA HANDLING APPLICATION
- for many people
- handed out/ posted on website
- filled by ticking/ shading boxes
Online : using radio button
Paper survey : using OMR
Radio Button Example
Advantages of survey
- OMR (will be read by the OMR scanner and result will be sent to database) :
- faster to get result
- fewer errors
- easier to do statistical analysis
- no data preparation needed
- result would be sent directly to a database for analysis
Computer, tablets and phones are all used to store information such as people’s home address, phone numbers & email address.
Have the following features:
- can organize records into groups (family, friends, work colleagues)
- search by name, grouping, and so on
club and society records
Keep records of their membership in the database such as:
- membership number
- payment details
- personal details
advantages of club and society records
- Search by group, interest, etc.
- automatically contact members by using email, mail merge, flyers or letters
- check membership subscription and send reminders
- save space
- less expensive, not easy to lose, less time consuming to search compared to paper-based records
Database that keep data on the performance of all students in school.
A typical database for this application is:
- Students ID
- Students name
- Term 1 Grade
- Term 1 Attendance
- Term 1 Notes
advantages of school reports
- easily track student’s performance
- quicker and easier to write student’s report
- automatically find the names and addresses of parents to sent reports by using mail merge
- less office space would be required since no paper records will need to be kept
- quicker and easier to find details of particular item
- less expensive since it wouldn’t be necessary to employ somebody to do all the filling and searching
- fewer errors since no manual checking of paper files would need to be done.
- data can be updated, organised, sorted and searched in different ways.
- data can displayed or printed in different formats.
- data can be backed up or moved using storage media.
- need to buy a computer and software to run the system
- time and effort would be required initially to transfer all the existing paper files to the database.